Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Day 1| 4/26

Recalling the weekend to the best I can.

Saturday 4/19-
The day started of with a long drive to see family in Los Angeles (referred to as LA from now on). I have a general disgust for LA for many reasons that alone could fill up an entire blog so I'll leave that for now. First thing I noticed on the drive was how much more focused I was on the road and the conversation I was having with my wife. Before my mind would race watching every building and store trying to understand what there business could be, how many people they employed, ect. Obviously this was somewhat dangerous as I wouldn't have 100% attention to the road and I was always distracted. On top of that I would have a conversation with my wife which I wanted to pay attention to.

So after the long drive we finally arrived at my mother's house for breakfast. Again my mind was more calm and focused then ever and I was able to carry out a conversation. When my mother said something I disagreed with it was so much easier to keep my mouth shut and let it be.

After a long afternoon and lunch we took an hour nap. I slept better then ever and fell asleep right away. Before it would take me at least 30 min to fall asleep regardless of how tired I was. We awoke from the nap and watched The Kite Runner.

It was like I had never watched a movie before. Not only was 90% of the movie subtitled but I was able to pay so much more attention to the plot line and character twists. Before I would watch a movie and like on the freeway look at every possible detail to understand it. I would look at the buildings and look for hints weather they were sets on a sound stage or shot on location. I would pay more attention to what characters were doing in the background, ect... Needless to say, it was a great movie and a real eye opening. I was able to easily stay awake throughout the movie, whereas normally I'd be fighting the feeling to sleep.

We then went out for a walk, which again felt like a whole new experience as I was able to enjoy the scenery without my mind racing. I was able to pay attention to the conversation my wife and mother were having without getting distracted or spacing out. Aside from getting fixed on finding an address I received in an email I was fine.

I was checking my email while we were walking (not the best idea, I know) when a friend emailed me a name of a park in Anaheim. I immediately had to find it. And although it would not come up in google maps or online I was persistent. Once I found the parks address it still did not come up in google maps. My wife noticed my frustration and quickly asked me to stop and pay attention to the sidewalk in front of us.

We came home from the walk, took a shower, and watch TV for a bit before having dinner. I helped my mom for a bit as we stayed up. We ended up going to bed at nearly 2am.